Key of the Universe? Music is for the Dogs.

After reading the article linked below, I remembered a similar experience with my own canine pal.

First, the story:

I once had an opera coaching and decided to bring along my pup, Liza Jane. We had slowly crawled through another Denver blizzard, tires slipping around corners and sliding through intersections, for this all-important prep rehearsal before a big audition. Just in case I got stuck somewhere in the snow, at least I knew poor Liza wouldn't be stuck home alone.
Liza Jane

Thirty minutes into rehearsal, Liza was sleeping soundly curled up on a make-shift bed (the winter layers I'd shed from the icy trek piled in a corner), and my coach and I continued our intense work. We would've forgotten my spotty mutt was even there save for the occasional puppy snore.

My coach Ruth and I moved on to aria No. 3, one by composer Donizetti. Ruth struck the first chord, and I took in air to sing.

Suddenly, Liza sat straight up and beat me to it – she let out a noise unlike any I'd ever heard from her before, pointing her little muzzle to the sky. Ruth started laughing so hysterically that she almost fell off the piano bench. She then explained how she'd just played in the "key of the universe", and that's why Liza was howling.
  
Key of the Universe?

Apparently, when wolves howl, they do so following the harmonic series of the key of Eb.  Some believe that the earth "vibrates" in the key of Eb. Liza was just responding to these instinctually, I suppose.

Regardless of the reason, dogs seem to enjoy music. Or sounds. Especially in the Key of the Universe.

Or maybe they just dislike Donizetti. Or really really love him. Who knows?

Now, the article.

Here's the blurb that sparked this retelling. PS -- Austin Pets Alive! -- possible fundraising idea? ;)

BBC News - Sydney Opera House holds concert for canines